Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Butterick 5987: Mother of the Groom part 2

Catching up with my summer sewing, next is my Mother of the Groom dress, worn to our son's wedding in June. Trust me, there are not a lot of choices for floor-length Mother of the Bride -or- Groom dresses in either RTW or sewing patterns, but Butterick 5987 looked interesting.





Initially, I considered View A, a cross-front halter top, similar to one that I liked from Nordstrom. I paid a visit to Haberman Fabrics, and purchased this lovely light blue poly georgette. In a brief moment of sanity, I decided I should muslin the bodice and thank the sewing goddesses I did....View A looked awful! But I wasn't too concerned, as I did like View C: the one shoulder....a style I had never worn. Below are pics of the bodice, which went together very nicely. This time I went straight to fabric without the muslin.



Below are bathroom shots of the dress basted together. It was here that I could clearly see that this dress needed a waist stay. Instead of the three layers called for in the skirt: lining, with two layers of georgette, I skipped the lining. All that fabric, tho, made the skirt heavy and pulled the bodice down.



The next pic is the very happy Mother of the Groom on Wedding Day! This shows the color more accurately:



This was fun to wear, lots of "swish" on the dance floor :-) And comfortable too...which is so important on a day that starts early  and ends in the wee hours of the morning! And of course I need to post a picture of the very happy couple....the whole reason why I made Butterick 5987:




Thursday, September 24, 2015

Simplicity 0593 - Mother of the Groom Part 1

Hello There!!!!
I've been absent from the blog for several months, I know.....it's been a busy year for our family!
We have had 3 of our 4 kids get married this year...quite a year!
I did do quite a bit of sewing since I last posted in the Spring, so let's get caught up...starting with the dress I made for our son's rehearsal and dinner.
I really like the Amazing Fit line of patterns that Simplicity puts out. Using my usual set of alterations, along with the accommodations that Simplicity puts in with seaming and dart placement, I usually end up with a successful project. With that knowledge, I grabbed Simplicity 0593 out of my pattern collection, which I am sorry to say is out of print. 
This very vibrant stretch cotton sateen came out of my stash. I have been hoarding it for several years, waiting for the right project.


Below is the dress on my dress form, basted together. My usual alterations were needed: FBA, length added to the bodice and to the skirt length.
The one draw back to this pattern is that it is unlined, and I didn't bother to add one.


There's the Groom! with a not too great picture of the dress .....


If you happen to have this pattern in your collection, I would recommend that you give it a try! I plan to revisit it, perhaps with a lovely brown wool crepe that has been calling out to me....