Simplicity 2648 is an Amazing Fit pattern, which has different bodice pattern pieces for cup sizes A-B-C-D along with adjustments for "slim, average and curvy fit". If you read my last post , you will already know that I am excited about these options that the pattern companies are providing the home sewist. I think with these options, along with a lot of trial and error over my last few years of sewing, that I've finally figured out how to obtain a much better fit with my garment sewing. The fabric I used for this unlined sheath dress was a heathered gray ponte knit from FabricMart that I purchased online in June, 2011. I have several of the Simplicity Amazing Fit patterns, but hadn't yet actually used one. When I picked this dress pattern to sew up, I decided to follow the directions as written. That meant cutting larger seam allowances, and basting(!) seams for fitting, then removing the basting, taking apart the dress and resewing. This...
We are in the midst of The Wedding Year at our house, with 3 weddings in 9 months! I wanted a new dress for our son's and his bride-to-be's wedding shower last weekend, so I picked McCall's 5974 out of my pattern stash. This pattern has SO many rave reviews on PatternReview , and I don't know why I haven't made it before! I chose to sew up View C, which is the same as View D: just has 3/4 sleeves. This looks so much like the iconic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress! I went stash-diving for the ITY knit jersey fabric that I knew I had: Some of the notes I made with this project: -1 " FBA, added 1" at waist & hip - no zipper needed ...
Vogue 8764 is a Custom Fit pattern by Vogue, which includes bodice patterns for bust cup sizes A-B-C-D. I am SO glad that the pattern companies are making the effort to produce more patterns like this.....it makes this dressmaker's alterations so much easier! I did still need to make my usual changes tho: broad back, lengthen the bodice by 1 inch above the dart, sway back....along with a little extra room from the waist down. With this pattern, making the broad back adjustment made the the shoulder seam fall off a bit, which I corrected by placing a small dart at the back shoulder seam. This is a great pattern to get that perfect fit, since there are bust darts, back darts, front and back seams along with the horizontal seam at the raised waist. Many sewing bloggers have made this a TNT (tried-n-true) that they return to often, and I can see why. My fabric was an oh-so-soft lightweight double knit: ...
Comments
Post a Comment