V1182: muslin

I don't why I always do this do myself, but here I am again with a deadline fast approaching! My nephew's wedding is this Saturday, and I have been planning to make this dress for at least 4 months. Yes, I know it is red, just like the pattern photo, but I am trying to sew up my stash and this fabric, a stretch sateen, was a great candidate for Vogue 1182


I am making a muslin of this one first, though I must admit I don't usually take the time to do this. But I have read a lot of reviews of this pattern online via PatternReview, and I think I'd better work out any fitting issues in the muslin stage first. The main reasons I enjoy garment sewing are 1.) I like to choose my own pattern and fabric and not see myself coming and going in the same retail pieces others are wearing, 2.) fit, and 3.) I just like sewing together all the pieces, going from flat fabric to a 3D garment. Of the last 3 weddings I've attended, twice there was another gal wearing my same dress :-(  And the third dress was a lovely, champagne-colored number, with a beaded bodice that just didn't fit right which made me uncomfortable all evening. 

Bodice front: still need the side fronts and collar, then a fitting evaluation: 

Back: although my dressform is a little smaller than I am, I think the extra couple of inches I added at the back side seams already appear to be too much. So glad I am making this alterations at the muslin stage and not with the fashion fabric!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blackwood Cardigan in Leopard!

Simplicity 2648...and an Amazing Fit!

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674