Simplicity 2648 is an Amazing Fit pattern, which has different bodice pattern pieces for cup sizes A-B-C-D along with adjustments for "slim, average and curvy fit". If you read my last post , you will already know that I am excited about these options that the pattern companies are providing the home sewist. I think with these options, along with a lot of trial and error over my last few years of sewing, that I've finally figured out how to obtain a much better fit with my garment sewing. The fabric I used for this unlined sheath dress was a heathered gray ponte knit from FabricMart that I purchased online in June, 2011. I have several of the Simplicity Amazing Fit patterns, but hadn't yet actually used one. When I picked this dress pattern to sew up, I decided to follow the directions as written. That meant cutting larger seam allowances, and basting(!) seams for fitting, then removing the basting, taking apart the dress and resewing. This...
We are in the midst of The Wedding Year at our house, with 3 weddings in 9 months! I wanted a new dress for our son's and his bride-to-be's wedding shower last weekend, so I picked McCall's 5974 out of my pattern stash. This pattern has SO many rave reviews on PatternReview , and I don't know why I haven't made it before! I chose to sew up View C, which is the same as View D: just has 3/4 sleeves. This looks so much like the iconic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress! I went stash-diving for the ITY knit jersey fabric that I knew I had: Some of the notes I made with this project: -1 " FBA, added 1" at waist & hip - no zipper needed ...
Realizing that the maxi dress continues to be a summer staple, I decided to jump on the bandwagon, using McCall's 6308. I had this very drapery black & cream rayon in my stash, and it was a perfect pairing of pattern + fabric. I now understand the popularity of the maxi dress....seriously, wearing this is like wearing pajamas, it's that comfortable! I made a few adjustments to the pattern: a smaller than usual FBA since the top has a lot of gathering, I raised the neckline by 1 inch, and also added 1 inch to the length. A quick and easy project yielding great results! The back neckline vee is cute, but was a little "fiddley" to get to lay right. Redrafting to a more rounded/scooped back neckline would be easier. Fun dress to wear on the perfect Father's Day Sunday in Michigan!
Go Blue! We're in Michigan this weekend, too - I just made a trip to Field's Fabric and bought some lovely bottom-weight magenta knit fabric . . . .
ReplyDeleteMichigan is just the most beautiful state. Now come to Chicago so we can meet for coffee :)
ReplyDeleteI watched the 2nd half. OMG what a game-all those OT's!!
ReplyDelete