Sunday, April 28, 2013

Vogue 8880

Since it seems that I need a wardrobe "re-boot" for Spring, I've been taking a look at my stash of both patterns and fabric. I purchased 2 yards of this striped knit from Fabric.com a while back, and thought it would look good paired with Vogue 8880. The fabric recommendations from Vogue were "eyelet, crepe and jersey", so I thought I might be able to get away with using this stretchy knit. It worked out great!  

Line Art

This pattern uses a neckline facing for the front, and bias binding at the back neck. Huh? 
I just made binding cut almost on the bias from the striped fabric for both the front and back neckline, and top-stitched it in place. 
I did raise the front neckline V....it's pretty low on the pattern piece!



The lower front and back are separate pieces attached at the waist, which forms the elastic casing. I did add 1 inch to the length of the top/back at the waist.
And tho I made View C, I eliminated the lower sleeve piece to make the top short sleeved.
I am happy with this cut-on sleeve....not too much extra fabric at the underarm, which is often the case with this sleeve style.




I'm really pleased with my new top, and I like the 'peplum' look.
Now that the pattern alterations are in place, I'll be making this one again :-)


Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Vogue 8815 and Faye's Sew-A-Long

I'm calling this one the "Better Late than Never" peplum :-)!

Faye is hosting the 2013 Essential Top Sew-A-Long, and I had the best of intentions to boost my wardrobe with some new tops. Well.......
The deadline is April 10th....wait...that's TODAY!


I've been wanting to jump on the peplum bandwagon, especially with Vogue 8815,
as it has become such a popular pattern with great results.


I had some cobalt blue ponte knit from JoAnn Fabrics that I thought would work good, 
but this first attempt turned out to be too small through the back and unwearable. 
Below you can see my "Frankenstein" pattern:
FBA
Lengthened bodice
Scooped out front neckline
Widened back
Sway-back adjustment


The finished piece now fits great! I used a mystery fabric, a stable polyester knit that feels great on and was a pleasure to sew. The binding at the neckline made good use of the stripes.




I think this top will see a lot of time in the rotation in my work wardrobe.
Thanks, Faye, for the motivation!