Showing posts from July, 2012

Simplicity 1803 - Part 1

My nephew will be getting married this weekend and I've decided to make up Simplicity 1803 as shown in pink on the pattern envelope. I used a very pretty coral (or tangerine??) poly satin from JoAnn's.

I am making some changes tho...below you can see a full lining to replace the facings called for in the pattern. And for some reason, it took 3 bodice muslins to get a satisfactory fit, and so I plan to make this again in a cute cotton for summer. 

I made the cute little cap sleeve with the pleat at the top, but it just looked a little too "Betty Bridesmaid" for me. The sleeveless option was better. :-)  I also replaced the waist gathers in the skirt with pleats. And I found this great tutorial for stitching down the lining to finish the invisible zipper. All that's left are some finishing steps: slip-stitch the armholes, close the back lining seam, make the bra strap loops, hem and press.  I'm still undecided about a belt/sash, I think it needs a little somet…

Simplicity 2369

I wanted to revisit this pattern after having made up the top a few months ago. At that time, I used a light
T-shirt type knit, which just didn't work for everyday wear. I knew I had this stretch knit that I purchased 2 years ago at Vogue Fabrics in Evanston, IL, and I thought it might work, sewing View A with the bell sleeve. It sure did! and it was quick and easy since I had already made the fitting adjustments: raised the neckline, adjusted for swayback, and added to the skirt length. This way I could go right to the serger.

 I did try to match up the graphic design somewhat, and I'm happy with that too.

I also got a chance to use my new labels! Etsy seller JennifersJewels was great to work with, especially since I goofed the first order and she made a generous allowance for me on the reprint :-)

I am wearing this dress at work today, and received what we sewing bloggers like to call an  "unsolicitation": while standing at the deli counter on my way into work, a …

Front porch knitting: Stardust

My daughter requested a summer shrug, and she chose the pattern Stardust, from Knitty 2007. I'm using Caron Simply Soft Lite in Heavy Cream: color 0002, and size 8 needles to make gauge, and I'm happy with it so far. I must admit that I found I made a mistake in the very easy-to-memorize lace pattern, but was able to catch it by ripping back 6 rows of just that section of 6 stitches. Ta da! I've never been able to make those kind of corrections before when there are yarnovers to fix, so I felt a real sense of accomplishment. I know....I am easily entertained! 

Wordless Wednesday