Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter Dress: Butterick 5211

I was looking for a quick and easy dress to make for Easter this year, so I thought I'd give Butterick 5211 a go. The pattern description says that this is a "1 hour dress", which is the construction time after cutting out the pattern, but it took me 3 hours. Maybe I just work slow! This fabric is a fuchsia poly double knit from Fabric.com, and sewed up like a dream! I liked the sleeve detail, and since the puffiness falls off of the shoulder I thought it would be okay and not look too young and fussy.
You be the judge:

It helps that I have this fabulous necklace to wear with it:

I'm not sure yet if I'll wear this belt, or a purchased one, but without the belt this more stable knit makes the dress just hang. Maybe a more drapey fabric would work without the belt.

No zipper means easy-peasy! The thread chain wrapping the button was made with embroidery floss:

It's been years since I've made myself a new dress for Easter. This one is cute and comfortable, and I think I'll wear it a lot over the next few months!

Ugly Duckling: New Look 6570

Although I may not have been posting on this blog over the last few weeks, I have been busy both at my sewing machine and with my knitting needles! I'll save the knitting post for a later date, but first off you can see the jacket I made from New Look 6570. I'm calling it the Ugly Duckling because in my opinion this is pretty ugly fabric. This is an online fabric purchase of unknown date, but I think it may have come from Denver Fabrics by the sticker still on it, and I'm sure the 99 cents/yard promo pulled me in. Trying to sew up my stash, I decided to make this jacket as a 'wearable muslin' while I look for a simple jacket pattern to use as a TNT. Lined, with simple design lines with seaming and darts for fitting are what I'm looking for. This is a nice pattern, but it's not the one.

I believe I am actually using the 'wrong' side of the fabric as the public side, since the fabric description is for a beige fabric and I used the gray side. I wanted to make the fabric flowers that are so popular right now and embellish around the neckline, but that wasn't going to work with this jacket. Pinning back the neckline with these large buttons opened it up and seemed to work better.

After taking a class with Kenneth King a year or so ago, I've been wanting to try the technique of sewing in a very narrow bias strip between the facing and the lining on a jacket. This was fun and easy and I plan to do this more often, but I know now I need to be more exact on my seam allowance to make this effective:

I thought the Ugly Duckling could use some sprucing up, and the addition of this new scarf I picked up at Tar-jay worked just fine:

I am not sure just how long I'll keep this one in my closet, but I did wear it to work this week. Still needs some fine-tuning on the fit, but I don't plan to use this jacket pattern again so I didn't spend the time altering it.

Next up: pics of my Easter dress!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Men's Basic Knitted Hat

My college-age son Kenny requested "a light gray hat with dark gray stripes" to get him through the cold Michigan winter, so I decided to use Ellen's Basic Hat pattern which is about as straight-forward a hat pattern as you can get! Berrocco's Ultra Alpaca worsted has become my go-to yarn when I need a basic wool worsted. Knit on size 8 needles, I think the fit will be perfect, but I'll know more when he comes home this weekend for spring break!
I'm planning on casting on this afternoon for a scarf to go with this hat, using the ScWiNoWa(Ravelry link) pattern, since I think I have enough yarn left over to use up.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Knitting Olympics 2010: Tie One On

Whew!! After lots and lots of knitting this weekend, I was able to finish my 2010 Knitting Olympics challenge by the end of closing ceremonies! I was helped a lot by the modifications that I had to make due to a shortage of yarn to complete this wrap. Since this yarn was rather expensive, I really did not want to purchase any additional ( I used 2 skeins of ArtYarns Mohair Splash, 246S), so I left off the last pattern repeat and had to make the ties shorter than indicated by the pattern. I'm fine with the size of this wrap, but I do wish the ties were longer. But that's okay, I can still make it work as long as I have a pin/brooch to secure the front. Knitting with this yarn was easier than I expected, for some reason I thought that the sequins would be an issue. I really like the random placement of the bling! All in all, I am pleased with my first Olympic knitting project, and now I have this lovely wrap to show for it!