Simplicity 8024: Rose's Baptism dress

When my daughter and her husband were making the plans for their daughter Rose's Baptism, they asked if  I would make Rosie's dress.....of course I said YES!
My daughter pinned some ideas to a shared Pinterest board, and  we were off and running. Simplicity 8024 had the style lines that Rosie's Momma was looking for:
When discussing fabric, Rosie's Momma also wanted "lace, lace and more lace....especially a lace bonnet!". We had no problem finding the  perfect lace and satin, as well as a cotton batiste for the under slip. All fabrics washed up beautifully before construction.
The full length skirt was satin with a lace overlay, which I treated as one. The lace's scalloped edge finished off the hem nicely.
I also laid lace over the satin for the petal sleeves (love those!). I wanted to showcase that lovely scalloped edge, so I made an overlay to drape over the front and back bodice.

Instead of trying to make buttonholes in the lace, I used snaps to  close…

Me-Made-May 2019: McCall's 7381

What's not to love about a Spring wedding in Michigan, especially when the  weather turns out perfect!  One of my daughters' dear friends had a lovely outdoor barn wedding this month, and I got to wear my new dress: McCall's 7381

I had this blouseweight Peachskin woven fabric from FabricMart  waiting on my shelf   and it worked perfectly with this McCall's pattern. After reading a few reviews of this pattern, I knew the bodice might run a little big,  so I did not make any adjustments there. Actually, I only made a couple of changes. The pattern calls for lining the bodice, and

Me-Made-May 2019: Blackwood Cardigan #2

I like and wear my first Blackwood Cardigan so much (blogged about here), that I thought I would make up another. This time I decided to make the shorter, hip-length version.                Fabric is a poly knit from Haberman Fabrics, in a pretty coral color. I love coral with navy!

Not such a flattering pic (LOL), but I did want to show the nice fit through the shoulders and the wide band at the hip. 

Although I am wearing this today with slacks, I know it will also be perfect to toss  over a dress this summer. 
(Curious about the quilt in the background? I made this one a few years ago, motivated by a class I took with Gwen Marston on liberated quiltmaking. My inspiration was a photo I took on a golf course in Upper Michigan: it was a beautiful summer day with green grass, blue skies and orange monarch butterflies flitting around. Heavenly!)

Me-Made-May 2019: Simplicity 1810

I've been wanting to sew with linen for a while now, and this lovely linen print from Fabric Mart just jumped into my online cart a few weeks ago. 

Simplicity 1810 has been in my pattern collection (now it's OOP) waiting for it's turn in the rotation, and I'm happy I got to use it! I really love the shoulder gathers, the clean neckline facings and the fullness that gets gathered by the self ties that come out of the back darts (clever!). The linen I used does tend to stand away from the body a little bit, but not enough to bother me. 
After measuring the pattern pieces I decided that there was enough ease so that I did not need to make an FBA, but I did raise the front neckline about 1/2 inch, lengthened the ties, and graded out from below the bust to hem. That extra hip room was not needed and I ended up taking some back out. Today I wore this with the ties crossing over in front and knotted in the back, hard to see with my printed linen. But I do also have the optio…

Me-Made-May 2019: New Look 6301 and LoriAnne Patterns

It was a lovely Michigan Spring Day yesterday, perfect for my favorite wrap dress: New Look 6301, and my Walking Coat by LoriAnne Patterns.

This is a lovely pattern from New Look, and the only adjustment I made ( I think.....I made this a couple of years ago!) was a FBA. I used a very pretty floral ITY from JoAnn Fabrics which was a perfect match for the pattern.

I love yellow, and and I love my yellow Spring coat! This too was made a couple of years ago after I purchased the pattern at a Sewing Expo weekend in Novi, MI. This large weave, wool fabric was another estate sale purchase.  Lining it with a striped silky poly worked well, and I eliminated any closures as both a practical (thicker fabric!) and style choice.
There is usually a small window of opportunity to wear this coat in our Midwestern Spring before the weather really warms up, but I enjoy wearing it every time!

Me-Made-May 2019: Vogue 8731

Here we go....kicking off Me-May-May 2019 with my tried and true pattern for knit tops: Vogue 8731, which is sadly out of print.

I've made this 5 times now, I think, and one of those times I lengthened it to dress length. I can sew this pattern straight out of the envelope without any alterations: quick and easy! The fabric is a nice, beefy knit purchased at an estate sale last year (or was it the year before? time flies!).

I've been trying to get more adept at using my coverstitch machine. A little hard to see in the picture below with all those stripes, but it's getting better. Practice, practice.

Do you use your coverstitch machine often? Any tips?
Happy sewing!

Wee Bean baby sweater

I'd like you to meet my granddaughter Emersyn, now 7 months old! Here she is wearing her  Wee Bean sweater by Taiga Hilliard Designs knit using Berroco Comfort yarn. (Yes, it did earn a 3rd place ribbon at last year's Armada Fair here in Michigan)
I have to say Taiga Hilliard Designs are some of my favorite baby patterns to knit. I also have to say the Berroco Comfort is one of my favorite yarns to knit baby things with.
My son and his wife are college sweethearts (they met while attending Central Michigan University) and  I thought it was appropriate that little Emersyn should have a sweater in the CMU colors! I think she wears it well :-)

Fire up Chips!