Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Friday, July 23, 2010

Messenger bag

My son's girlfriend needed a new messenger bag to carry her books, etc while at college, and of course my son thought: "Mom could make that"! I had fun putting this together for Cassie's birthday. First, I took a look at the book I have by Lexi Barnes, Sew What Bags, and made up a prototype of one I thought would work. I found this book to be a great resource, the diagrams and suggestions for sewing a messenger bag were very helpful, but my first attempt turned out too big and wasn't the style that I was looking for. I then looked around the web, searching for dimensions for bags that are sold retail that I knew she would like, and came up with what I think is a great-looking bag that is trendy and functional.

I purchased the quilting cotton at my local JoAnn Fabrics, and quilted it with a craft fleece in a simple diagonal quilt pattern. I think that this step took the most time!
I stabilized the bag some more with cotton duck cloth, and also used a fusible stabilizer on the pockets so that they wouldn't collapse with use. D-rings along with a canvas-type web were used for the handles, with additional stabilizer sewn in. I always add a lanyard for keys that drops into one of the interior pockets, and in this case I used a grosgrain ribbon.

Additonal pockets were sewn onto the exterior, at the side and under the flap for security. I love the look of the narrow binding edging the pockets and flap!

I really enjoyed working through the process of making this bag. Cassie likes it a lot and tells me that she uses it often, and that many of her friends think that was made by a popular commercial bag company, initials: V.B. :-)

Tuesday, July 20, 2010


I have had my Multnomah shawl completed for a few months now, but now that the temperatures in Michigan are hovering around 90 degrees, it is too hot to wear a wool shawl!

Love the finished product! These pics are before blocking:

I finally got to use the blocking wires I purchased a couple of years ago:

Detail shot of the feather and fan border:

I love this colorway and the way the self-striping yarn worked with this pattern.
The purples are lovely, and the shot of chartreuse really pops.

Yarn: Noro Kureoyon sock
Needles: US size 4
Finished size: 60" X 20"

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Saturday, July 10, 2010

One day at a time...

It's been a month or better since my last post, but I do have projects to share, trust me!

My dear Dad passed away on June 21, so I have been taking some time to work with my grief and everything that comes with that.

So look for a finished project or two to be posted over the next few days. :-)