McCall's 6436

I've been in search of the perfect button-up pattern for awhile now, and have collected a few. McCall's 6436 has had many favorable reviews, and has a lot of the qualities I was looking for: front and back darts, collar with stand, button placket and longer length. After reading in those reviews that this pattern ran big, I did not make my usual adjustments and sewed this gingham up as a test garment right out of the pattern envelope. I really want a gingham button down(!), so I'm glad I have more fabric as I need to tweak the pattern in some areas.
Looks great on the dress form, yes?:



Well.......

Us usual, I'll need a little more room in the front:


And we can all see those sway-back wrinkles:


Garment details: 
Black and white gingham from Fabric.com
PerfectFuse sheer interfacing from Palmer/Pletsch
Buttons from my collection

The alterations needed next time: shorten sleeves 1", adjust for broad back, sway back, and FBA.
Once those adjustments are made, I hope to have the perfectly fitted button-up!

Comments

  1. Well, shirts can be worn very nicely over t-shirts as jackets - and they don't need to close!!! The sway back wrinkles are not that bad really - many are worse. I think you have made yourself a nice throw on over t-shirts jacket shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah Liz, I've worn it as a shirt jacket.....a wearable test garment!

      Delete
  2. I really like this top. But you broke the cardinal rule when you failed to make the broad back adjustment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hon! I have some chambray for the next one.....and I won't forget the broad back adjustment this time!

      Delete
  3. Love how the fabric becomes rather psychedelic in the photos. As for alterations, yes, you'll be happier once they are done, but the non-sewing public sees this as a master piece ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda. You are right, and I think we can go a little crazy searching for that "perfect fit"....I am just so happy that over the last year I have figured out what fitting adjustments I need to make!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants