Sunday, June 15, 2014

McCall's 6308: Maxi dress

Realizing that the maxi dress continues to be a summer staple, I decided to jump on the bandwagon, using McCall's 6308. I had this very drapery black & cream rayon in my stash, and it was a perfect pairing of pattern + fabric. I now understand the popularity of the maxi dress....seriously, wearing this is like wearing pajamas, it's that comfortable!

I made a few adjustments to the pattern: a smaller than usual FBA since the top has a lot of gathering, I raised the neckline by 1 inch, and also added 1 inch to the length.
A quick and easy project yielding great results!
The back neckline vee is cute, but was a little "fiddley" to get to lay right. Redrafting to a more rounded/scooped back neckline would be easier.

Fun dress to wear on the perfect Father's Day Sunday in Michigan!

 

23 comments:

  1. You look great! I love maxi-dresses - comfy, look good, and no need to worry about my legs:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and so true LOL! I have a maxi skirt pattern waiting in the wings ;-)

      Delete
  2. I like your version of the Maxi-dress! I have not jumped on the bandwagon totally yet but I have purchased a Simplicity pattern for a maxi skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I have a maxi skirt pattern on my to-do list also :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I love the print too....

      Delete
  4. You look great, love the dress and the fabric. Great job and enjoy the beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! We have had perfect weekends weather-wise, making up for the rough winter. Nice to spoil my husband for a change!

      Delete
  5. Love your dress, looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this pattern a lot - I might have to add it to my queue! The look is elegant - glad it's comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need this pattern! I hope to make it again, maybe in the short version.....

      Delete
  7. Love it. It looks really nice on you. I need to make a maxi dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I think we all need a pretty maxi dress :-)

      Delete
  8. Very Nice. So flattering on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wondered how it would work out, but I like it!

      Delete
  9. This is really sharp! Love our fabric choice too of course!
    Past- Serena made me a huge Ron Rash fan.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew you would appreciate my fabric choice LOL! and I have another Ron Rash book on my to-read list.....

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! I have a feeling I will be wearing this one a lot :-)

      Delete
  11. Your maxi is gorgeous! I hope you are getting a lot of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete