McCall's 5974 O-O-P

We are in the midst of The Wedding Year at our house, with 3 weddings in 9 months! I wanted a new dress for our son's and his bride-to-be's wedding shower last weekend, so I picked McCall's 5974 out of my pattern stash. This pattern has SO many rave reviews on PatternReview, and I don't know why I haven't made it before! 


I chose to sew up View C, which is the same as View D: just has 3/4 sleeves.
This looks so much like the iconic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress!


I went stash-diving for the ITY knit jersey fabric that I knew I had:





Some of the notes I made with this project:

                                     -1 " FBA, added 1" at waist & hip
            - no zipper needed
                                                  - stabilized the shoulders and midriff with
                                       fusible tricot interfacing
                        - sewed the sleeves in flat
                                                                        - serged, turned and stitched down neckline, sleeve &                         skirt hems 




(The snow might be gone in SE Michigan, but it is still C-O-L-D!)
             

I can see how this pattern became so popular, too bad it has gone out-of-print. There are a couple of changes I'll make next time, tho. I need to add a bit to the length for hemming. and need to add to the ties: I liked the wrap and tie, but if the ties were longer I could wrap them all the way around front to back to front for a more cummerbund/ruched look.


L. to R.: daughter Kristen (Aug wedding), daughter-to-be Cassie (June wedding) my mom Shirley, son Kenny, daughter Libby (married last Nov).

Comments

  1. Such a pretty dress and Congrats to your Son & Daughter-n-law to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. It's a good feeling when a project turns out exactly as planned!

      Delete
  2. Very nice dress. You look great in it. Love your shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine. I love the shoes, too...but my feet didn't 😁

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love this dress on you! You look hawt and this dress totally compliments you! Fabulous. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gay! I'm really happy with this dress!

      Delete
  4. I love this dress on you and you look fantastic. Congrats on all the new family additions and you have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. It's a blessing to have such great kids in our family...the more, the merrier!

      Delete
  5. I love how this dress fits and looks. Lovely fabric also and perfect for this dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I love this fabric too....the trouble with stashing is that I don't always take great notes and forget where/when I purchased it LOL!

      Delete
  6. The dress came out really nice. That is a cute pattern and definitely has a DVF vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I can that I'll be using this pattern again....actually Libby told me more than once that she wants one LOL

      Delete
  7. I love a faux wrap! This is really sharp on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think you picked the perfect print for this! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved the graphic design on this ITY jersey :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. That dress is gorgeous and I love the fabric. So well suited to the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought it was a good match, too :-)!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants