Sewing for the Grandkids: Easter 2020






Can I talk a little about how much FUN it is to sew for grandchildren?

Before we were all in isolation, I had planned to make matching Easter outfits for our 5 grandchildren, ages from 1 year to 4 years. 
I was browsing through Hobby Lobby one day, and found this lovely cotton floral. I knew I wanted to use gingham as well, and was able to find that at HL too. 

Planning to go on a sewing retreat with my local quilt guild in early March, I figured that would be the perfect time to work on this project. Little did we know that the next week we would all be following the Stay at Home orders of self-isolation!  Since 4 of our grandchildren live out of state, I was sure to get current measurements before I started. 




Using downloaded PDF patterns from indie designers made it much easier to make the various sizes I needed for the little girls' dresses. The  Willow Top, Tunic and Dress from Sew a Little Seam was just what I was looking for! I wanted a gingham bodice with a floral skirt, and that very cute scoop back with the button placket added interest. I chose to line both the bodice and skirt with a lightweight cotton for all four dresses.










My grandson's gingham shirt was made using another downloaded PDF pattern, this time from Patterns for Pirates, the  Lumberjack Shirt. I used the gingham for all the facings: collar, yoke, and cuffs. 



Both of these patterns were so straightforward to make, with clear and concise instructions. With the wide size range offered by both patterns 
(The Willow is sized 3 mo - 12 yr, The Lumberjack is sized 3 mo - 14), I know I will be revisiting these in the future.

And now for some modeled shots of some very cute grandkids wearing their Easter clothes.
I'm so grateful to my son and daughters for taking the photos, as we all spent the Easter holiday 
sequestered in our own homes.

Desmond and Rose (brother and sister):



Jolene and Estie (sisters):




Emersyn:






















My hope is that these pictures of smiling, happy children in their handmade outfits give a lift to your day as they do mine.

Stay well,

Comments

  1. What a fun project, sewing prints and checks in spring colors into outfits for special family members. Your grandkids are gorgeous! It will be wonderful to visit with them when this time is past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see them all :-)

      Delete
  2. I love that little shirt pattern. I've kinda got my fingers crossed that grand #2 is a boy - but as you know it doesn't matter at all. Also - how are your grands getting so big?!! Beautiful sewing. Hope you are well. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are growing like weeds! I was so pleased with the way everything turned out, and the shirt was easy too! So exciting that you have another grandbaby on the way. Nothing like
      it, amiright? We are well, hope you are too. :-)

      Delete
  3. Your grandkids are just adorable!!! I love all of the colors you chose, and the way you mixed the prints. Everything looks so professional, and fits your grandchildren so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so pleased with the fit, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants