Although I may not have been posting on this blog over the last few weeks, I have been busy both at my sewing machine and with my knitting needles! I'll save the knitting post for a later date, but first off you can see the jacket I made from New Look 6570. I'm calling it the Ugly Duckling because in my opinion this is pretty ugly fabric. This is an online fabric purchase of unknown date, but I think it may have come from Denver Fabrics by the sticker still on it, and I'm sure the 99 cents/yard promo pulled me in. Trying to sew up my stash, I decided to make this jacket as a 'wearable muslin' while I look for a simple jacket pattern to use as a TNT. Lined, with simple design lines with seaming and darts for fitting are what I'm looking for. This is a nice pattern, but it's not the one.
I believe I am actually using the 'wrong' side of the fabric as the public side, since the fabric description is for a beige fabric and I used the gray side. I wanted to make the fabric flowers that are so popular right now and embellish around the neckline, but that wasn't going to work with this jacket. Pinning back the neckline with these large buttons opened it up and seemed to work better.
After taking a class with Kenneth King a year or so ago, I've been wanting to try the technique of sewing in a very narrow bias strip between the facing and the lining on a jacket. This was fun and easy and I plan to do this more often, but I know now I need to be more exact on my seam allowance to make this effective:
I thought the Ugly Duckling could use some sprucing up, and the addition of this new scarf I picked up at Tar-jay worked just fine:
I am not sure just how long I'll keep this one in my closet, but I did wear it to work this week. Still needs some fine-tuning on the fit, but I don't plan to use this jacket pattern again so I didn't spend the time altering it.