Butterick 5491: Maxi dress
My daughter, Kristen, asked for a maxi dress.......LAST year! And I have to admit, I had the dress sewn, she had tried it on for a fitting, and it just needed a couple of easy alterations and it would have been finished. But...the Autumn weather came up fast, and I bundled up the project to finish for this summer. I was so happy to finish it for her to take home after she was in for the 4th of July weekend :-)
Butterick 5491 was a fun and easy pattern, and I love this ITY knit for this project. I believe that it came off of the red-tag table at JoAnn Fabrics, which was a lucky find. Dresses like this can take a lot of yardage, so finding the fabric where I did made it a bargain.
I lined the bodice with a beige-colored knit, and the belt/sash at the empire waist is ruched. I needed to tack the ruching down by hand so the folds wouldn't collapse on themselves. The only real challenge with this project concerned the casings at the neckline, of all things! When I stitched it by machine, the lining wanted to turn out to the right side....not a good look. I ended up stitching the casings by hand, with small pick stitches which are effectively hidden by this busy fabric.
I love this "Grecian Goddess" style, which fits my tall, lanky daughter so nicely! She promises to send pics when she wears it next.