Hotpatterns 1159 - The Fast & Fabulous Jetsetter Poncho

Being a fan of Hotpatterns and designer Trudy's previous releases, I had the 1159 Fast & Fabulous Jetsetter Poncho on my radar. But when I attended one of my local American Sewing Guild meetings a few months back, I got to see the pattern made up by one of the members. It was SO cute, and I ordered the pattern immediately...and finally made one last weekend for a date night to see Black Panther.


The fabric I used came, from all places, the Salvation Army, and it's a true polyester double knit from the 'old days'.....similar to a fabric that many now call ponte. It has a blue/cream pattern, a very indiscreet check on the public or right side and navy on the other.  I wanted a more structured piece, and this fabric worked perfectly!


The pattern shows a more drapey cowl neckline, but that wasn't going to work with this 
fabric. Instead, I folded the cowl in half when I attached it to the body of the poncho, and 
I like the structured cowl look. I chose not to do any top stitching on those lovely vertical style lines, since when I tried it on scrap fabric the topstitiching couldn't even be seen, although I did topstitich where the cowl attaches at the neckline to insure that the seam allowance stayed put.



The armhole facings worked great: I applied the facings to the right side,  turned and stitched them down about 1 1/2 inches from the fold and trimmed the excess away. Perfect!





This was a very fun, fast & fabulous (!) project, and I think I will make another, trying a more
light weight and drapey knit for the next one. 

Thanks again, Trudy Hanson, for another lovely design!


-Patty








Comments

  1. What a perfect poncho to wear to a Black Panther movie date!! You look so lovely! I can see why you wanted to make this pattern as soon as you saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa :-) This is a great pattern! (and the movie was great too :-))

      Delete
  2. Thank you! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy with such a great pattern, Trudy! Thanks :-)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE it!! And I really like the more structured cowl-like some of the necklines on vintage patterns. I really need to make one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen, I agree! And, YES, you need to make one....this weekend while it's still cold enough to wear it! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants