The fabric I used came, from all places, the Salvation Army, and it's a true polyester double knit from the 'old days'.....similar to a fabric that many now call ponte. It has a blue/cream pattern, a very indiscreet check on the public or right side and navy on the other. I wanted a more structured piece, and this fabric worked perfectly!
The pattern shows a more drapey cowl neckline, but that wasn't going to work with this
fabric. Instead, I folded the cowl in half when I attached it to the body of the poncho, and
I like the structured cowl look. I chose not to do any top stitching on those lovely vertical style lines, since when I tried it on scrap fabric the topstitiching couldn't even be seen, although I did topstitich where the cowl attaches at the neckline to insure that the seam allowance stayed put.
The armhole facings worked great: I applied the facings to the right side, turned and stitched them down about 1 1/2 inches from the fold and trimmed the excess away. Perfect!
This was a very fun, fast & fabulous (!) project, and I think I will make another, trying a more
light weight and drapey knit for the next one.
Thanks again, Trudy Hanson, for another lovely design!