Butterick 5246 (O-O-P), Vogue 8731(O-O-P) and a FabricMart precut!


A tale of two dresses and one fabric pre-cut: 

 

My daughter asked if I would sew up a dress for her, using ITY ("so comfy - like wearing pajamas")
that would be work appropriate after she saw the one I made for myself for in March for Easter.
After looking at the fabulous pre-cut sale at FabricMart Fabrics, she chose this print, a 4 yard pre-cut:


Butterick 5246 , though now out of print, is a very comfortable dress to wear, and indeed "fast & easy" as the pattern states. I had made View B for myself with the cowl neckline, but I'm not a fan of that style and I 
find that I'm always fussing with it when I wear it. My daughter wanted the scoop neck version.





And even though this is NOT a maternity pattern, it works great for those early months of pregnancy!
(Woo-hoo, I get to be a Grandma again!!!!)
I'm so pleased that she has worn it several times now, and that it is work appropriate.


Having about a 1 1/2 yards left, I decided to sew up one of my TNT patterns, 
Vogue 8731, also out of print.  I've sewn this one twice before, both as tops. This time, I decided I wanted one of those summer staples: the knit tank dress...and had JUST enough fabric left to do just that. (I am trying to avoid putting project remnants back into my stash!)



This was the first time I used fold over elastic for binding both the neckline and the armholes.....WHY did I wait so long? Quick, easy, and comfortable to wear.
I have to admit that it took a couple of attempts:  note to self to reduce the seam allowance first.  :-)


And in this family photo from Easter Sunday (one of my favorites: so much love and happiness!)
you can get a glimpse of my dress using Butterick 5246



Comments

  1. What a wonderful use of a Fabricmart pre-cut! Both garments look wonderful, and congratulations to your daughter!! I know you are excited too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you, Vanessa! Got to love those pre-cuts :-) and YES, we are all so excited!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674