Madeline X 2 for Halloween!

I

Just look at those girls! Little sweethearts, for sure (I should know, I'm their Grandma!).

My daughter Kristen has always loved dressing up for Halloween, and now she has a blast dressing 
her 2 daughters ages 3 and 8 months for the holiday.

At the beginning of Sept she sent me a text with a photo of some Madeline costumes she had 
seen on Etsy, with the comment: "Are you thinking what I'm thinking...?"
YES! I jumped right on board and offered to sew the costumes for my granddaughters, as I knew
I would have as much fun sewing them as they would have wearing them.

I knew I had Simplicity 4243 in my pattern stash.  I had made it before and so I  knew
it would fit baby Estie:


Lucky for me, I have a sewing buddy who loves vintage patterns and often gifts me with 
them when she finds them when scouring estate sales.

 This one is a Vintage Simplicity 5948 from 1965:


which was a perfect fit for Jolene, age 3! A quick run to JoAnn Fabrics for the blue twill, and 
I was on my way.


The capes were self-drafted by drawing a circle and then cutting out another
circle from that for neck space, and a slice down the front for the opening. I considered
a snap closure below the chin, but opted for ribbon ties. 
I have to mention that I live in Michigan, and the girls are in Illinois, so I 
opted for the ties so that the fit for the cape under the chin could be easily 
adjusted.




My daughter sourced the hats, tights, and black MaryJane shoes: perfect!


Comments

  1. How creative! I loved reading books about Madeline growing up, anfmd your granddaughters captured the essence nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vanessa. I thoroughly enjoyed this sewing project!����

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants