The Red Dress Challenge: McCall's 7381

                                    


                        Christmas 2020: The Pandemic Year found me with lots of time on my
                     hands over the holidays, as it was just my husband and I celebrating Christmas
                     together. I was so saddened not to see my children and grandchildren, but thank goodness for the solace of my sewing space!  I took advantage of this extra time to participate in #thelittlereddressproject on Instagram, hosted by Renata at thetwilightstitcher.                             
                    
            I had made McCall's 7381 before, loved wearing it, and thought I would revisit this pattern. For this challenge, I chose View B, and used a poly lycra knit purchased a few years ago from Fabric Mart Fabrics

                    There is very little stretch to this fabric, nonetheless I sized down for this make since with my first attempt the fit was a little big. I love the style of this dress, and it reminds me of the  Fringe Dress by Chalk and Notch Patterns:




What I love about this pattern:

-the shoulder gathers
-the V-neck
-cute pleats at the skirt front with the slightly raised front waist
-elasticized back waist
-fuller sleeve gathered into a narrow cuff










The pattern calls for lining the bodice, which I did using the same fabric as the dress fabric. 
I slip stitched the front bodice opening closed, and attached small black buttons.....and NO buttonholes! :-)


This dress is comfy and cozy, my version of wearing secret pajamas! :-)

Happy New Year, here's to 2021!

Stay well, stay safe and wear your mask:



                                                                     

Comments

  1. You look wonderful in your red dress! I do feel the Chalk and Notch vibes, and think your version is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa! This fabric has been aging in my stash for a few years (!) now, along with some other cuts of red fabric, which need to be sewn up :-) I haven't sewn them because I didn't think red was a good color for me......but I think I've changed my mind!

      Delete
  2. Love the style of this dress. Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! It was a fun and easy project, and it's very comfortable to wear :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants