I don't usually "do" New Year's resolutions, but I think setting down some attainable goals at the start of a new year might be interesting. It will be fun to check back throughout the year to see how much I've thought about those goals and worked toward meeting them.
Since I hit my mid-50's with my last birthday, a more healthy lifestyle all the way around is at the forefront of my thoughts these days. And not just including a more healthy diet and more frequent exercise, but more thought and consideration to the choices I make each day: what TV shows I watch/don't watch, books I read, words I choose to say/write, people and activities I choose to spend my time with.
With that in mind, here are my 8 goals for 2012, in no particular order:
- Meal planning with an eye toward keeping it more nutritious. Looking at the week ahead instead of cooking meals by the seat of my pants.
- Consistent exercise is a battle for me, and I'll continue to strive for at least 30 min 4X/week.
- Less TV watching, more book reading. 'Nuff said.
- On the garment sewing front, I hope to sew down my stash by making more and more of my wardrobe and purchasing less. 1-2 garments a month should be easy enough to accomplish, and still leave room for sewing for family members and home dec too.
- Keep pushing myself to become more proficient with my knitting/crochet. I'm proud of the pieces I've made over the last year, but I know that there is always more to learn.
- Clean closets and purge the extra. I like to hang on to 'stuff' way too much, and I'm feeling the need to downsize and release some of the clutter.
- Journal more.
- Plant and maintain a vegetable garden this spring and summer. I love our local farmers' market, but I want to grow more of my own.
I'm sure that this list could grow from the 8 goals listed, but I think it's a good start. These are the things that are always on my mind, and I hope by writing them down and coming back occasionally to reassess how I am doing will help bring an peaceful order to my days.
So, on to the New Year and all the ups and downs ahead!