Butterick 5987: Mother of the Groom part 2

Catching up with my summer sewing, next is my Mother of the Groom dress, worn to our son's wedding in June. Trust me, there are not a lot of choices for floor-length Mother of the Bride -or- Groom dresses in either RTW or sewing patterns, but Butterick 5987 looked interesting.





Initially, I considered View A, a cross-front halter top, similar to one that I liked from Nordstrom. I paid a visit to Haberman Fabrics, and purchased this lovely light blue poly georgette. In a brief moment of sanity, I decided I should muslin the bodice and thank the sewing goddesses I did....View A looked awful! But I wasn't too concerned, as I did like View C: the one shoulder....a style I had never worn. Below are pics of the bodice, which went together very nicely. This time I went straight to fabric without the muslin.



Below are bathroom shots of the dress basted together. It was here that I could clearly see that this dress needed a waist stay. Instead of the three layers called for in the skirt: lining, with two layers of georgette, I skipped the lining. All that fabric, tho, made the skirt heavy and pulled the bodice down.



The next pic is the very happy Mother of the Groom on Wedding Day! This shows the color more accurately:



This was fun to wear, lots of "swish" on the dance floor :-) And comfortable too...which is so important on a day that starts early  and ends in the wee hours of the morning! And of course I need to post a picture of the very happy couple....the whole reason why I made Butterick 5987:




Comments

  1. Very beautiful Mother of the Groom dress! You did a great job & you look lovely! Our son in getting married in November and I need to get started on my dress............I'll get to it! Great job again!
    Bonnie @ sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Congrats on your son's upcoming wedding, it's quite a milestone for the whole family!

      Delete
  2. Oh, how special are our children's weddings :-) You look so lovely and happy - the dress is perfect. And the young couple look so very happy as well. congrats to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the MoG dress! The fit looks great and I am sure it was a joyous occasion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants