Knitting for the Grandkids: 2019 Birthdays

I used to do a lot of Christmas knitting.....but then our family started growing by leaps and bounds! 
It made more sense to me to transition to Birthday knitting, which is much more fun as it is spread out across the calendar year. This includes the adults as well as the kiddos!

I use this blog as a journal where I keep track of my makes, and when doing a 2019 review, I found that I hadn't documented many of those Birthday projects from last year.
So, to catch up:

Jolene has a July birthday, so I knit the Melissa Tank for her out of Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima, which is a 100% cotton yarn. As you can see she looks so cute wearing it as a vest, or can be worn like a tank in warmer weather.



Emersyn turned One (!) in September, and knitting up the Bellarose shrug for her was lots of fun!
That shade of purple in another Cascade yarn: the  220 Superwash Aran is so pretty on her.






Desmond and Rose are siblings, with November birthdays that are a day apart. I was thinking that if I wanted to make them matching sweaters, it would be wise to do that while they are still small!

I pulled out my favorite kid sweater pattern, the Flax Light, and knit these up in no time at all. This time I used Knit Picks Yarn, the Hawthorne Speckle Handpaint in Cosmic Speckle. This colorway was perfect for them, and the yarn was a joy to knit with. (Poor Rosie, she was just learning to walk and has a big BUMP on her noggin!)




As you can see, it's easy to find lovely yarns on the market that are easy to care for by busy parents. I do knit with wool for my family as well, as they have grown up knowing how to care for wool pieces. But, I also want them to find it easy to put the kids in hand knits whenever possible!

I absolutely love knitting for my family, especially since they are all so appreciative and therefore 
"knit worthy"  :-).

Smiles,

Comments

  1. What a treat to knit for your grandkids and family members! All of your knitted items look carefully thought out and chosen for each recipient. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting: Heart Hats for Valentine's Day

My Birthday Dress: Butterick 6674

Casual in Linen: Pattern Emporium Low-Ley Cami with Love Notions Allegro Pants